Teacher Education Officer
Position Title: Teacher Education Officer Position Location: Hirshabelle, Somalia Duration of Employment – Full-time Deadline to Apply: 2 April, 2021 Program Summary: The USAID/Somalia Bar Ama Baro program, a five-year USAID funded program, works to increase access to quality education for a targeted number of out-of-school children and youth (ages 8-15) in specific regions of […]
Position Title: Teacher Education Officer
Position Location: Hirshabelle, Somalia
Duration of Employment – Full-time
Deadline to Apply: 2 April, 2021
The USAID/Somalia Bar Ama Baro program, a five-year USAID funded program, works to increase access to quality education for a targeted number of out-of-school children and youth (ages 8-15) in specific regions of Somalia. The Program will work to increase student enrollment in alternative education program sites, improve their safety, monitor acquisition of literacy, numeracy, and socio-emotional skills among the learners who enroll in them, and enhance the Federal Government of Somalia’s capacity to regulate them. Through Creative Associates International, Hano Academy has contracted to implement this project in Balcad and Jowhar, Middle Shabelle Region , Somalia Thus, Hano Academy is now seeking the services of a qualified Teacher Education Officer.
Teacher Education Officer – under the guidance of training specialist, is responsible for the planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting of teacher education interventions day to day progress including in line with and agreed plan of action and budget, donor and government policies, requirements and procedures. The Teacher Education Officer will be responsible for implementation of all teacher education programmes at district level. He/she will ensure efficient utilization of project resources for the intended purpose through effective planning and monitoring. He or she will ensure the use of appropriate, cost effective and innovative approaches especially in improving quality, equity, inclusiveness and performance of supported teachers especially those who are untrained and are working in the selected schools. He or she will ensure collaboration through collaboration and networking with other stakeholders implementing teacher education programmes in his/her area of operation. Teacher Education Officer will ensure partnership with relevant partners including ministry of education including district education officers (DEOs), regional education officers (REO), and with Community Education Committees at community level, teachers and children. Teacher Education Officer shall ensure linkage among education and other thematic areas at field level. He or she will play key role in representing BAB Project in relevant networks and forums and engage in advocacy and dialogue with relevant education stakeholders at region and district level.
• Under the guidance training specialist involves in the development of new project proposals, concept notes and data collection with particular inputs for teacher development.
• Explore, document and disseminate new ideas, lessons and experiences from the day to day project management that will improve the planning and management of education projects
• Involve in the process of baseline assessments and establishment of project base line, for effective planning, monitoring and reporting purposes
• Under the guidance of the training specialist, plan and implement training for expert teacher in the districts in which the program works
• Play proactive role in addressing key educational challenges such as poor capacity of teachers,
• Ensure that he or she has adequate knowledge and understanding on key government education policies and strategies on teacher development, renumeration and recruitment, Assist in the development, implementation and monitoring of AEP Teachers Training
• Work with teachers’ trainers and teacher training institutions, to develop relevant, locally resourced teacher training materials and resources
• Develop and implement screening tests to be used by teachers to place AEP students at appropriate levels
• Work with teacher trainers to adapt and contextualize training materials
• Work with trainers to assess teachers’ skills and training needs/ gaps
• In consultation with the Teacher Training Specialist and other stakeholders, develop basic training package
• Implement in-service training package in collaboration with federal ministry of education (NFE department)
• Provide regular updates to management on the progress of teachers training program
• Support in the Implementation of procedures and systems for teacher supervision, coaching, and monitoring
• Work with the Teacher training Specialist, to Establish teacher learning circles
• Work with teacher training Specialist to establish Teacher Professional Development Plan
Required Skills & Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in education or a related field with additional training in education planning and management and project planning and management techniques
• Knowledge of current national international strategies on access, equity, and quality education policies and models
• At least 2-3 years of relevant experience in similar position
• Experience of working with local/national governments and capacity building of systems, partners and staff
• Ability to write quality narrative donor report
• Good interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
• Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Somali
• Must be able to engage positively and productively with a diverse population of team members, stakeholder and government counterparts.
• Experience working on donor funded projects, USAID experience preferred.
• Must be professionally proficient in written and spoken English.
• Must be fluent in Somali language.
• Must have exceptional oral and written communications skills
• Must be professionally proficient in written and spoken English.
• Must be fluent in written and spoken Somali language.
• Must be able to demonstrate leadership and team-building skills
• Must be able to engage positively and productively with a diverse population of team members, stakeholders and government counterparts.
• Must have a valid Somali passport, or at least valid Somali national ID card and work permit, or obtain within 90-days of contract signing, to facilitate living and working in Somali and work- related travel throughout BAB Program area of implementation.
How to Apply
Please submit an updated CV and covering letter to this address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “Teacher Education Officer_Your Name” in the subject line.