Movement Control Assistant
UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO LOCAL RECRUITMENT AND DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL ALLOWANCES OR BENEFITS. FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 24 AUGUST 2022 DATE OF ISSUANCE : 25 JULY 2022 FUNCTIONAL TITLE : MOVEMENT CONTROL ASSISTANT LEVEL : GL – […]
UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO LOCAL RECRUITMENT AND DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL
ALLOWANCES OR BENEFITS. FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 24 AUGUST 2022
DATE OF ISSUANCE : 25 JULY 2022
FUNCTIONAL TITLE : MOVEMENT CONTROL ASSISTANT
LEVEL : GL – 5
SECTION : MOVEMENT CONTROL SECTION
LOCATION : MOGADISHU
TYPE OF CONTRACT : FIXED TERM APPOINTMENT
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER : UNSOS/MOVCON/021/2022/SM
This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to United Nations staff rule
4.4. All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within
commuting distance, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country. Local laws governing employment for non-nationals will be observed by the United
Nations. A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position is based in the Movement Control Section within the United Nations Support Office in
Somalia (UNSOS), in Mogadishu. The incumbent will be reporting to the Manager, Passenger Booking
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Within delegated authority, the Movement Control Assistant will be responsible for the following:
• Receive and register cargo movement requests for air/ground transportation.
• Receive materials and supplies from different sections, arranges for transportation to destination, and follows up until final delivery.
• Coordinates transportation of cargo by air and/or road with Air Operations and Transport Section,
• Ensures proper and safe storage of inbound and outbound cargo.
• Ensures proper packing and marking of cargo items, including dangerous goods.
• Informs appropriate consignees on delivery of items.
• Provides technical advice and guidance to personnel involved in cargo movements.
• Compiles and maintains cargo statistics related to air/ground movements.
• Coordinates work of outsourced cargo loading personnel at the airport.
• Prepares cargo manifest and ensures correct distribution to all concerned parties.
• Facilitates embarking/disembarking of passengers and loading/unloading of cargo being transported
• Ensures that passenger and cargo flight loading/unloading is conducted in accordance with the
published daily flight schedule and cargo manifest.
• Checks in passengers and baggage against passenger manifest, issues boarding passes and
coordinate transfer of passengers and baggage for aircraft boarding.
• Performs pre-boarding briefing for passengers and monitors the safety briefing performed by the
• Facilitates immigration and customs formalities for passengers.
• Ensures that passengers’ baggage is weighed, measured, labeled, manifested, and loaded into the
• Ensures the General Release From Liability form (waiver) for non-UN passengers is signed and
witnessed and retained before boarding.
• Reports time of take-off and landing of UN aircraft to Air Operations Center.
• Receives the Aviation Risk management check list from aircrews and informs Air Operations center
of safety concerns if any.
• Ensures established procedures are in place and aviation safety regulations are followed.
• Assists VIP passengers, as required.
• Carries out duties in Passenger Booking Unit, if required.
• Performs Flight Monitor duties or other duties as and when required.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and
mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines,
and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence
when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes
responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by
genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts
joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions.
Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and
anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for
delivery of products or services to client.
Qualifications and Experience:
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Additional technical/vocational qualification in logistics, transportation or management
is required. Valid national driving license is required.
Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheets and database.
Experience: A minimum of four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in aviation,
movement control related services or general experience in the field of transport.
Language: For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of
local language (Somalia) desirable.
Assessment Method: Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive
assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History
Profile (PHP) to the address mentioned below quoting vacancy announcement number and functional
title on the subject line on or before the deadline. The P.11 is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs
Applications submitted after the deadline 24 August 2022 will not be accepted.
Curriculum Vitaes (CVs) will not be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Kindly attach a copy of relevant academic documents, Passport and or National Identification Card.
These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibilty.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female
candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position. The United Nations shall place no
restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of
equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS
(APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).