Creative Associates International is a fast-growing, social impact company that specializes in the areas of education, economic growth, democratic transitions, and stabilization in post-conflict environments. Based in Chevy Chase, Maryland, this global development organization has a field presence is more than 25 countries and a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department. Since its founding in 1977 by four enterprising women, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
The USAID/Somalia Bar ama Baro, BAB “Teach or Learn” Program will improve access to, and quality of, comprehensive, conflict-sensitive education for out-of-school children and youth (ages 9-17 years) who are most marginalized and living in specific regions of Somalia. The program, in partnership with the Government of Somalia, will engage in the design and development of policies that improve access and support to accelerated basic education, increase student enrollment in accelerated education program (AEP) sites, and roll out a comprehensive curriculum. The program will aim to reach targets and enhance the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) Ministry of Education, Culture, and Higher Education’s (MoECHE’s) capacity to regulate them.
The Project Security Manager’s (PSM) overall mission is to keep all project personnel and assets safe from harm. S/he has delegated responsibility for the day-to-day management and coordination of operational field security activities, provides continuous security and contextual information to the team, ensures compliance with corporate security policies, and maintains liaison with the Regional Security Manager for Africa (RSM). This employee will be appointed by the Chief of Party, with concurrence from the RSM HQ Security. This position will be based in the Mogadishu office, with program activities expected to be carried out throughout the Southern states of Somalia. Extensive understanding of the security issues throughout Somalia with possible travel into various areas of Somalia as needed and required by the project.
REPORTING & SUPERVISION
The Project Security Manager reports to the Chief of Party based in Mogadishu. The PSM will be based in Mogadishu and will work closely with the HQ RSM – Africa.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Work with the Chief of Party and Creative’s HQ Regional Security Manager for Africa (HQ RSM) to develop, manage, and coordinate all Creative security and safety programs, plans, and policies relevant to the project including detailed security procedures that comply with Creative security policies. This will include emergency response drills and communication procedures for the project.
- Provide security, safety, and risk mitigation advice and recommendations to the COP and BAB management and staff, in close collaboration with the BAB Project Security Coordinator.
- Ensure that project staff complies with project security procedures including travel protocols.
- Carry out security assessment of offices, compounds, vehicles, and Expat/TCN housing and make recommendations for required security upgrades, as required.
- Monitor and analyze the ongoing threat environment faced by the project and brief the Chief of Party and other project staff accordingly. Distribute threat warnings to all staff.
- Ensure that appropriate risk mitigation measures are taken by the project to respond to the threats or changes in threats faced by the project. This is to include physical protection measures, safe working routines, movement restrictions, protection equipment, and security staff provision, as required.
- Report security incidents, and violations, and recommend corrective actions, as appropriate, to the RSM and COP.
- Ensure all new employees, consultants, and partners working in Creative offices and traveling in Creative vehicles receive appropriate security orientation and briefings.
- Be able to assist with out-of-hours emergency response for the project staff and partners, if needed.
- Assist the project with business continuity planning, as required.
- All the above include ensuring security protocols are understood and security drills are periodically conducted with staff of BAB.
- Ensure field staff receives first aid and fire response training.
- Additional assignments, as instructed by the Chief of Party.
The PSM should understand, brief, and regularly train all project staff on:
- The successful candidate needs to demonstrate superior knowledge of the following specific regions in Somalia:
- Jubaland State
- Southwest State
- Hirshabelle State
- Have the ability to effectively brief all staff on emergency procedures and protocols, and conduct and lead security briefings and security training/drills.
- The need for all staff to maintain a good level of situational awareness, and to report concerns.
- Project communications procedures including emergency phone trees and WhatsApp security groups as well as contact lists.
- Office emergency response procedures including fire evacuation, direct threat lockdown, etc.
- The need to avoid all demonstrations, possible demo sites, and areas where crowd trouble could start.
- The location of the nearest medical facilities.
- Implement and execute actions relating to the Crisis Response Plan.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
BA degree required in a security-related field.
- Must have a minimum of at least 6+ years of security-related work experience and at least 4+ years of specific [management] experience in Somalia, related to the position required.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is highly desired, including the ability to provide and provide security briefings in English.
- Demonstrated understanding of security management protocols and the application of field security protocols is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to solve challenging and complicated security issues. Solutions-orientated and open-minded thinker that can provide solutions around complicated scenarios.
- Ability to develop an in-depth understanding of and willingness to comply with all Creative security policies and procedures.
- Should have a proven and established network of contacts within the local security environment, as well as a demonstrated ability to interact with and engage the international security networks available in Somalia.
- Proficient at using Office 365 – MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. Applicant needs to demonstrate computer literacy and be able relay field information [security] into PP presentations etc.
- Have a demonstrative ability to draw from a wide network of reliable sources of information, to provide concise and timely analysis and recommendations pertaining to our areas of operation and activities in the field.
- Demonstrated ability to engage all team members as resources to manage security and contextual awareness in a manner that is proactive.
- Must have the physical capacity to travel extensively on short notice to remote regions within Somalia.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience in the field of international development is highly recommended.
- Previous exposure to similar types of projects – USAID funded and or any other international donor organization.
- Tenure with INGO in Somalia will be beneficial.
- Extended field and background knowledge of the following regions in Somalia:
- Jubaland State
- Southwest State
- Hirshabelle State
- Prior experience with the Somali military or police.
- Proven experience, directly and indirectly, supervising and managing staff and teams.
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout Somalia.
- Strong ability to deploy and use various forms of staff tracking.
- Develop security management and motion tracking systems.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills are required.
- Problem-solving, stress management, and time management skills are required.
- Excellent record-keeping and documentation skills are required.
- Working knowledge of modern technical security systems, security standards, and procedures within the private sector of Somalia.
- Experience working in a conflict environment is a plus.
- Fluency in one or more of the local languages used in Somalia is desired.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with institutional and private sector partners and stakeholders, including the national government.