The key mission of the FAO Representation in Somalia, which is led by FAO Representative (FAOR), is to assist and support the national government to develop policies, strategies and programme aimed at accelerating the Implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the area of FAO’s global mandate and Strategic Objectives. More specifically, FAO’s response aims to address national needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition, developing agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, and ensuring the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources and respond to recurrent emergencies. The current portfolio of activities of the FAO Representation in Somalia includes a wide scope of technical support interventions ranging from policy support through livestock and crop production, to natural resource management, Nutrition, value chain, food security analysis and water and land information management. FAO is also implementing several emergency, resilience-building and development interventions, with the support of its five field offices and close to 400 staff in partnership with the Federal and State line ministries.
The position is under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Somalia and the direct supervision of the Head of Programme in close collaboration with the International SCRP Programme Specialist.
The incumbent will be responsible for supporting the coordination, monitoring, and reporting of the FAO projects with funding from the World Bank.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Assist the International Programme Specialist with overall coordination, representation, communication, and reporting for the SCRP.
• Coordinate with government authorities at federal, state, and regional levels, and with government focal points directly supporting FAO projects.
• Support monitoring, evaluation, accountability, quality assurance, and learning of project results in close collaboration with the M+E Unit.
• Draft consolidated project reports including ad-hoc request on the programmes as appropriate following donor templates and FAO internal processes ensuring synergies and common approaches are adhered to and any required contributions to joint reports by the country office, region, HQ or within UN.
• Support the implementation of the SCRP communication plan and products to contribute to the overall visibility of FAO Somalia programme in Somalia.
• Serve as the national focal point for project coordination and liaison with national stakeholders and ensure government participation in programme activities and maintaining relationship as appropriate.
• Support the International Project Coordinator on work plan and activity monitoring, internal update meetings, and following on action points internally and with other stakeholders.
• Support project budget monitoring in collaboration with the technical teams and the Operations Unit.
• Organize and participate in stakeholders’ meetings, workshops and planning exercises.
• Work in close coordination with the FAO technical units, field teams, and relevant heads of sectors and coordinators to ensure the project activities are delivered as required and per work plan.
• Collaborate and coordinate with other entities working in similar areas in Somalia.
• Participate in provision of inputs for project formulation documentation and presentations.
• Support the maintenance of up-to-date basic records required for project implementation, and reference records on directives and procedures relating to field operations work.
• Perform other duties, as required.
• University degree in international relations, political science, social sciences, engineering, agriculture, livestock, or a related field.
• At least 5 years of relevant experience with 3 years’ experience in project management monitoring and evaluation and reporting and 2 years in developing work plans, logical frameworks, and donor reports.
• Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country (English) and working knowledge of the local language(s) is required.
• National of Somalia.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Familiarity with relevant UN agencies and other international organizations active in Somalia and the sector.
• Prior experience in the UN System, FAO, NGOs, or other similar partners will be a definite asset.
• Experience working in a governmental institution will be an asset.
• Experience and proven track record in dealing with government ministries, custom authorities and other relevant offices in processing various documents would be considered as an asset.
• Proven track record of drafting and advising on high quality proposals and reports.
• Knowledge and experience of using advanced Microsoft applications.
• Adaptability and flexibility in responding to the donor and the responsible federal ministries.
<strong trebuchet=”” ms”,=”” “apple=”” color=”” emoji”,=”” “segoe=”” ui=”” symbol”;”=””>ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile.or follow this link https://jobs.fao.org/careersection/fao_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=2303499
We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
• Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
• Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
• Incomplete applications will not be considered
• Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
• Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help or have queries, please create a one-time registration with FAO’s client support team for further assistance: https://fao.service-now.com/csp
Receive emails for the latest jobs matching your search criteria