UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY THIS POSITION IS SUBJECT TO LOCAL RECRUITMENT AND DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL BENEFITS FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 08 AUGUST 2022 DATE OF ISSUANCE : 25 JULY 2022 FUNCTIONAL TITLE : ASSOCIATE ENGINEER LEVEL : NO-B SECTION : ENGINEERING AND […]
UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY
THIS POSITION IS SUBJECT TO LOCAL RECRUITMENT AND DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL BENEFITS
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 08 AUGUST 2022
DATE OF ISSUANCE : 25 JULY 2022
FUNCTIONAL TITLE : ASSOCIATE ENGINEER
LEVEL : NO-B
SECTION : ENGINEERING AND FACILITY MANAGEMENT AND
LOCATION : NAIROBI
DURATION OF CONTRACT : TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER : UNSOS/EFMS/020/2022
This position is a temporary job opening funded for an initial period of 364 days. Extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening. Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational setting and reporting relationships:
The position is located in the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) within the Engineering and facility Management and Maintenance Section. The incumbent will be based in Nairobi and reports to the Chief, Engineering and Facility Management and Maintenance Section through Chief Design, Cost Recovery and Real Estate Management Unit.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Within delegated authority, the Associate Engineer will apply professional engineering knowledge and expertise in performance of the following duties:
1. Planning and Design:
• Applies commonly used engineering calculations, practices and precedents in completing portions of larger projects related to the design, construction, or repair of buildings, roads, bridges, airfields, helipads, railways, docks, waste disposal systems, flood control systems, water treatment facilities, electrical power generation and distribution systems, flood control systems, water treatment facilities, electrical power generation and distribution systems, environmental control systems, field defenses, mine detection and clearance, and other related structures and activities in the field.
• Conducts preliminary site investigations to obtain field data such as soil characteristics, drainage and other data preliminary site investigations to obtain field data such as soil characteristics, drainage and other data required for building site selection.
• Prepares design layout for smaller or less complex portions of buildings and facilities.
• Produces cost data and estimates on engineering-related requirements of current and planned field
missions. Participates in budget projections.
• Completes architectural and engineering drawings using AutoCAD software. Where necessary, visits work sites for inspection of site conditions and/or for taking of measurements.
• Converts old/historical drawings to AutoCAD files liaising with GIS office as and when appropriate in providing a consolidated mission wide reference source for maps and layouts.
• Maintains and controls any request for copies of architectural, structural, electrical, and mechanical plans.
• Develops technical data, drawings and records regarding materials, sizes, dimensions, and quantities and costs to be incorporated in formal specifications.
• Analyzes project proposals to ensure technical feasibility and to ensure that project objectives are attainable within the prescribed resources.
• Liaises with other engineers and mission specialists responsible for related specialized phases to arrive at mutually satisfactory approaches to problems by exchanging and comparing data.
• Undertakes research to gather information (e.g., soil condition, topo surveys, geotechnical data etc.) related to engineering projects.
• Prepares engineering presentations using advances in technologies.
• Evaluate technical proposals from bidders/vendors for solicitation processes.
• Provides where possible recommendations for improvement to current Unit workflows/processes and
implement (in coordination with respective unit staff).
• Apply standard engineering practices & precedents in construction, maintenance & repairs of installations, structures, and facilities.
3. Performs other duties as required.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda.
Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect
own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Qualification and Experience:
Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Civil/Electrical/Mechanical
Engineering, architecture, or another related field. A first-level university degree with two
additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university
Skills: Proficiency in AutoCAD is required. Knowledge of IPSAS 17 is an added advantage.
Experience: A minimum of two (02) years of progressively responsible experience in engineering, architecture, or related areas.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.
Assessment Method: Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive
assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History Profile (PHP) to the address mentioned below quoting vacancy announcement number and functional title on the subject line on or before the deadline. The P.11 is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs
Applications submitted after the deadline 08 August 2022 will not be accepted.
Curriculum Vitaes (CVs) will not be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Kindly attach copy of relevant academic documents, Passport and or National Identification Card. These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibilty.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position. The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS
(APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).